Sunday 12 April 2009

Given wants trophies

The main theme of his interview with The Sunday Times:

Being feted as among the world’s best is no consolation. “I don’t think adulation amounts to very much unless you’ve got trophies. You look at the great keepers through the years, [Ray] Clemence and Peter Sch-meichel, they’re remembered for what they won in their lives as much as anything else. I’d hate to look back on my career and have won nothing. I want people to say, ‘He was a good goalkeeper – and he won some silverware’.”

I almost feel guilty about our signing Shay Given: we managed to get probably the best goalkeeper in Britain by virtue of being a wealthy club who needed a new 'keeper at just the right time. But the prospect of his finally winning a trophy at City takes the edge off the guilt somewhat.

No comments: