Thursday, 23 July 2009

Caicedo move confirmed

On the official site.

It's testament to the relentless pace of our progress this summer that a player for whom we paid £5.3m last January, and who hit an impressive seven goals (plus the backheel at the Hawthornes) in the 'back nine' of last season can be so far from the reckoning this year.

Of course, it's possible that Caicedo will have a good season in Portugal and come back to City for 2010/11. But I'd bet strongly against it. The fact is that player recruitment has moved quicker than anyone would have expected this summer, and no-one's place is safe. Vassell's gone to Turkey, Jô's already returend to Everton, and now Evans is set to go to Sheffield United.

Popular as he is, I'd be surprised if Bozhinov survives the summer. And if Benjani's still here come September 1, something's gone quite wrong. Our stable of strikers for the 2010/11 season will almost certainly be: Carlos Tévez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz and Craig Bellamy - none of whom were here even in 2008. Such is the pace of change.

4 comments:

jfell said...

I feel very strongly that, where possible, we should be loaning out our players to Prem sides where they would be regular starters.

What we'll learn from Caicedo playing for Sporting next season is unclear to me.

trinder said...

Another sensible move. Caicedo has a lot of potential that a long spell in a technically minded league with a successful side should turn into sustained excellence. I'd like to see Etuhu, Mee, McGivern, Weiss, Vidal and Logan doing the same, being sold at 21/22 years old only if they clearly aren't good enough.

N Rowland said...

I'd really like to see Bojinov get a chance at full fitness! Or at least loaned out as jfell said, to a place where he'll start.

Henry Crun said...

Bonjovi's already being linked with a move to Lazio