Sunday 25 October 2009

Barry speaks

An interview with Paul Hayward in today's Observer. He suggests that he is better suited to playing alongside Nigel de Jong than Stephen Ireland in central midfield (something which I am sure is true.):
"I'm never going to be seen as an attacking midfielder who's going to dribble past anyone, create untold chances and score lots of goals but going forward is something I've always enjoyed doing. It's something I've tried to push into my game, going up and down the pitch.

"In the first four games I played for City I was in there [central midfield] with Stephen Ireland, so I was seen as the more defensive player, but since Nigel [de Jong] has come in he's done a great job. Alongside him, I'm probably able to get forward more. With the attacking players we have here, the movement they have, it's great to be playing alongside them."

As good as Stephen Ireland is, the team looks much more balanced with de Jong alongside Barry in central midfield. This needn't see the long term exclusion of Ireland from the side; he could play wide right ahead of Shaun Wright-Phillips, or even behind a centre forward in a 4-2-3-1 set up. Barry also praised the team made:

"I certainly wasn't expecting people to be saying after two or three months: 'It looks like you've made the right decision'," Barry says. "The start's been a very positive one and that's helped me settle a lot quicker. I want to look back two or three years down the line and say I really made the right choice. As we stand here today it's been a fantastic start."

No comments: