Sunday 30 May 2010

Late surge from SWP?

For all the talk about Adam Johnson, it appears this evening that Shaun Wright-Phillips probably has an equal chance of making Fabio Capello's 23 man squad. This is my best guess of the situation after Johnson played only five minutes of the Mexico and Japan friendlies.

Wright-Phillips played the whole second half today, though, playing from the left as he did at the Boleyn Ground (a selection which I imagine might have been prompted by Fabio Capello.) He looked a better fit there than Aaron Lennon did, drifting inside, linking well with Ashley Cole, and trying a few shots.

Enough to muscle his way onto the plane? Probably not. But my rough guess is that he's probably about 4-1 to join the select, similar odds as those I'd give AJ.

7 comments:

thomas said...

anything to get rid of walcott!

satis said...

My mate is a Chelsea fan. He cares far less about England than he did when Chelsea were shit. He'd much rather their players sat out the World Cup and started (and more importantly, finished) the following season fresh. I'm increasingly feeling the same way.

Unless we're trying to sell someone, I can see little to gain from any City player being in South Africa, other than a mild sense of pride.

ChrisR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisR said...

Walcott has been living on the back of one hat-trick against Croatia for a year now, Lennon deserves the RW position hands down, and that leaves Capello with a decision: does he have an inferior like-for-like as replacement, or does he take a different kind of player, such as SWP or AJ. If it was me, I'd take a different option, and in my eyes SWP does this better than AJ (thinking SWP against United in April, beating Evra time and time again). I'd therefore take Lennon and SWP; Walcott and AJ left at home. Their times will still come when ready.

grayfield18 said...

I hope your not suggesting that the manager helped a player with his chances of making the England squad.......Is this right Nedum ?

longwayfromhome said...

"OG" now has to be on the plane after proving his form for ManU can carry forward to international football.
My seven to stay at home; Heskey, Walcott, Huddleston, Dawson, Upson, Warnock, Carrick.
Horrible feeling Carrick and Walcott may still get a reprive (for Parker and SWP) even though they have been shite this season and in the two friendlies.

ChrisR said...

thanks for reading Fabio :)