"Jorg Neubauer, the agent of Jereme (Boateng), has given us information that Jerome is planning to make a transfer (to another club) this summer," spokesman Jorn Wolf told Sportinformationsdienst.

"There is no deal agreed yet, however. This is all I can say on that."

Of course, this isn't confirmation. Just as The Times story isn't and the Bild story isn't. But it's fair to say that there looks to have been serious progress on this in recent days. I'm pleased. As I wrote the other day, I'd much rather we spent the summer going after younger, hungrier players from abroad than washed-up trophy-laden millionaires. Aside from the fact that galactico strategies don't always work, it's just more exciting to see players with an affinity for the club than those - like a John Terry or a Samuel Eto'o - who had already built careers and reputations elsewhere. Plus of course he'd be the third man in two years on the Nordbank to Eastlands conveyer belt after the very successful signings of Vincent Kompany and Nigel de Jong.

So I like this type of signing. Regarding this player in particular, I don't know too much you couldn't get off Wikipedia. He can play centre back or right back - both positions where we could do with strengthening. He started at Hertha Berlin, but has been at HSV for the last three years. He was sent off on his debut for Germany. He's roughly three months younger than Micah Richards. I've seen him play in the flesh but not on television - the 2-1 at Eastlands one year ago this Friday but I'd be lying if I had any real impression of him. I asked on Twitter and was directed by Tom Sanderson to this report on ManUtd.com which is worth having a quick look at.

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves yet.