Wednesday 30 June 2010

David Silva signs

Big news. The deal for David Silva to join Manchester City has been finalised and announced by the club. He is to join once Spain's involvement in the World Cup is over, for a fee reported in Spain to be €32million (£26m). The player said:
“The time is right for me to seek a new challenge, and I am thrilled about playing in England with Manchester City. I believe the Premier League is one of the best competitions in the world and I want to bring success to City and win trophies for them."

"I want to say that I always hoped to come to Manchester City and I am excited about my future there. They are a club with a great future with fantastic players. I want to be an important player in Manchester City’s history."
I'm thrilled. This news is not a surprise; the Spanish press had been reporting that a deal was close for a while now, as regular readers will know. But things can be both predictable and exciting; just look at Christmas Day. I'm lining up a series of posts on David Silva which will come up this afternoon. But what I will say is that he is a dreamy footballer, a player of real intelligence and nuance. And if we build the right stage for him he could well be the man to lead us into the promised land of the top four.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like!

. said...

Well, it's sounds nice, but so did other recent foreign signings for City. I too want this to work, but I'm just afraid that he is a bit too... frail (if that is the correct word for it). Not many latin footballers have had great success in the EPL, because part from having technical skills, you also have to be strong. Shining examples of players having (or learning) skills to cope is Tevez or C.Ronaldo (when he learnt to stop falling over all the time). An other player who seemingly won't manage this adjustment is our own Robinho...

Anonymous said...

top four? what about the top one ?