Monday 14 September 2009

de Jong complains

Slightly worrying stuff in the sunday papers from Nigel:
De Jong, 24, said: “I have not come to Manchester City to sit on a bench. I am staying positive, the season has just started, but this can’t go on for too long.

“All week, I could not stop thinking about what would happen if I was not going to start again against Arsenal. These are the games I came to England for.

“Last season I played every game. I know the great feeling that gives a player...

“I find it difficult to accept. I’m not a model reserve player.”

It's a problem if we're encountering these problems and it's only September. Now, if I was picking the team I would play de Jong in a 4-5-1 system similar to how we set up on Saturday. So in one sense his grievance is legitimate. But: these are Mark Hughes' decisions to make and he's done pretty well so far - five games and five wins. And so it's a shame to see him question the manager like this in public. I'm sure he'll play on Sunday though.

3 comments:

Bent the Golden Boot said...

He know's he has to play well enough to get in the team and if tactics dictate he may well find himself on the bench again. This applies to everyone, even Robinho, so if he wants success with City he will fall in line.

Rob Conroy said...

Was it not De Jong who was saying a few weeks ago that this was expected and that he was willing to train hard and wait for his chance to play when the manager saw fit?

Unknown said...

He'll be fine. He needs to realise that its actually the monster games which he will play all season. We dont necessarily need him to beat Stoke, but we need him to play against Arsenal, united, Liverpool and Chelsea, and play well.

Cant do any harm that Hansen made a big point of how important he was for us against the arse. I'm sure he will already have realised this. Also, Dutchies are calm, measured individuals arent they?! Errrrrrmmm....