Wednesday 16 December 2009

Spurs preview

Now this is a huge game. Away at one of our closest rivals for fourth place; win and we're two points ahead of Spurs and three behind Villa with a game in hand on both. Lose and we're four behind Spurs and six behind Villa - and we can enjoy another Christmas of rumours about Mark Hughes' imminent dismissal. This doesn't make it a must win though - I'd certainly take a draw. Yes, it would cost us ground on Aston Villa but given how they folded after Christmas last season I'm sure they're catchable.

The problem is that, despite recent form, I think we'll struggle to draw this one. And this is mainly because of the absence of our wingers. The reason that we can afford to play such an open 4-4-2 is the pace and work rate of Craig Bellamy and Shaun Wright-Phillips on the flanks. They both track opposition full backs all the way back into our penalty area (and put in some crucial tackles), while being able to hit teams on the break with their prodigious pace. Between the two of them so far they have a total of ten goals and fifteen assists so far. And while we can replace them with excellent footballers - I imagine that Stephen Ireland and Robinho will occupy the wide positions - they offer a quite different threat: clever, certainly, and more creative, but slower too. And I do worry about Aaron Lennon exposing Sylvinho given Robinho's reluctance to track back.

It's just possible that Hughes will seek to recreate the Bellamy/SWP threat by deploying one of Martin Petrov or Vladimir Weiss out wide. But that aside I can't forsee any surprises: the back five will continue, and Nigel de Jong will probably replace Vincent Kompany in midfield. (I was shocked that de Jong had swine flu, as I was convinced that he was indestructible. Hearing that he has shaken it off in about 48 hours is an immense relief.) With our first team I could see us worrying Spurs, but with this team I'm not so sure.

So I'm going to predict a 3-1 defeat. I know it sounds gloomy but it will make me feel much better if we manage to lose 2-1.

4 comments:

clevblue said...

Yes it does sound gloomy. Rigsby can get past defenders and so can ireland if they work hard enough, Tevez is hungry for goals, we are pretty strong still and getting stronger. A point away would be acceptable, but I think we can nick it

satis said...

Is Keane going to play? I reckon he must have scored at least 8 goals against City.

Unknown said...

Maybe 4-5-1 with Tevez right wing, robinho left, ireland in his favoured attacking central role of last season. Barry covering Sylivinho from the left-mid anchoring role.

Unknown said...

Corluka is good going forward but slow and gangly in the back.

I predict Robinho will make mince meat out of him in the London limelight and score/assist on 2 goals tonight.

1-4 for the Citizens.

Looking for a boisterous away contingent to help the team on.