Tuesday 15 April 2008

A reader writes

"I thought your thing about how Arsenal are still great even though they haven't
won jack in three years was kind of absurd...But I, for one, remember Dalglish's
Blackburn just as much as Keegan's Newcastle. Also there was less to play
for back then, as English teams were less competitive in Europe, so it wasn't
such a big deal not to end up winning anything. There's also not the same
contrast in the present case as then - it's not like United don't play very
good, sometimes extraordinary football."


Good points, but I think the Big Four which exists now means that competition for big trophies is even tighter than before. And whilst I'm not doubting United's football, the point I was trying to make was that amongst the trophyless teams of recent history, Arsenal will go down as one of the best and best admired.

No comments: