Thursday 31 July 2008

EB/Streymur preview

I'm not used to being this confident before a competitive match. I never usually enjoy cup ties against underdogs (you know why), and obviously I remember Groclin, but somehow I feel different about this. It might just be that the odds are so overwhelmingly stacked in our favour: they're from the Faeroe Islands, it's at 'home', we're 2-0 up; or maybe it's because it's wrapped up with pre-season confidence, and it's Mark Hughes' first game on home soil. But I expect us to win and will be genuinely shocked if I don't. I can't remember when I last felt this. We haven't won a competitive match by a three goal margin for over two years (3-0 against Newcastle, February 2006) but tonight could just be it.

Team selection involves treading a difficult line between complacency and caution, as we focus on the competing goals of both establishing and settling our best eleven and taking a look at those who have not been fully involved so far.

Hughes has suggested that the returning internationals; Elano, Corluka and Fernandes will all play this evening. Michael Johnson, who missed the trip to Hamburg with a knock, should also return. Presumably we will stick with the 2007/08 back four, with a possible start for Kasper Schmeichel behind them. The central midfield partnership is less clear. As we saw against Hamburg, Elano and Fernandes is defective. At least one of Hamann and Johnson is desirable, although Ireland is as good a choice as any other in the central role. I imagine Gelson and Johnson is the most likely pairing, with Elano or Ireland on the right hand side.

I imagine one of the youngsters will play up front: Evans looked lively against Hamburg, although Sturridge and Caicedo also played. I'd rather see two of them (or one and Bianchi), but I fear we'll partner one of them with the seemingly immovable Vassell.

No comments: